Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Countdown Begins

I've been slacking again. Things at work have been a little crazy in the last few weeks and I haven't really had the time nor desire to blog about my runs. As it stands right now, one month from today my RTO team will be somewhere in the midst of our 178 mile relay race and I think I'm going to do alright.

A week ago, my husband and I got together with our friend for a nice Sunday run. Nico is much younger and in much better shape than my husband and me, but we held our own with him as our pacer and we ended up doing a fairly hilly 5.5 mile run with our average pace hovering right around 9:36/mile. Not too shabby.

Right after that run I started noticing a pain in my left inner ankle. It's weird. It's not swollen and it's not all the time, but throughout the day and always for the first mile of my runs I've been having this terrible burning pain just below my inner left ankle bone. It doesn't last too long, but it's excruciating while it's going on. It feels like my ankle is touching a hot stove. I have been doing some stretches in hopes that it will help alleviate some of the discomfort. Here's hoping that they work. Cross your fingers for me. :)

Sunday, my husband and I decided that we needed to up the ante. Our slots for the race have been assigned and now we both know what our longest leg will be. His is 6.2 and mine is 6.5. We needed to tackle a run that was further than 6.5 miles so that we knew we could cover the distance on race day. We ran the same course as we had done with Nico the week before, but instead of starting at the park we started from our house which added more mileage. When all was said and done we had run 7.01 miles in 1:12:22 at an average pace of 10:20. Sure our time was slower but (hot damn!) we ran 7 miles!!! It was a great run and we finished with giant smiles on our faces. I've had several moments in my life that have made me proud and finishing that run ranks right up there.

Which brings us to today....not my finest run. Don (my husband) and I went out for our run right around 4:30. The sun was shining and it seemed perfect. We took off and by the time we hit the end of our street I was already regretting it. Neither of us had remembered gum and a quarter mile into the run I was super phlegmy. My ankle was burning like crazy and this grody blister on my right foot was screaming at me. I ignored all of that nonsense and we kept on running. We ran loops around the park and by the time we hit loop 2 (nearly 3 miles into our run) I was running with such a full bladder I could hardly stand it. We stopped by the restrooms. Bad move. That small break caused the muscles in my legs to seize up and when we started back up it was like my shoes had been replaced with cinderblocks. The blister was throbbing so much I kept imagining it like one of those huge cartoon toes, that pulsates rhythmically after someone drops an anvil on it. The final mile back to the house was the worst mile I've run so far. I just felt bad. We made it home after running 4.02 miles in 37:03 at an average pace of 9:13/mile. I wish my body didn't feel so awful so I could celebrate pulling a decent time.

Friday will be a nice easy run because Don and I have entered ourselves in the Run Amuck on Saturday. Our costumes are almost put together and I'm keeping it a surprise because they are going to be pretty funny. I'll throw some pictures on here after the race so you can see them. It should be a fun day. I'm looking forward to having some quality goof-off time with Don and this event is just the place to do it. Don't forget to check back on Saturday to see the pictures.

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. Run Amuck sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see the pics. I'll be pulling for you!! Is Mabel going too? Or maybe that's a bit too long for her?

    ReplyDelete