Thursday, June 2, 2011

Last minute preparations

It's the night before the race and I'm having a very familiar feeling come over me. I can't believe that after nearly 20 years I've got pre-race jitters. There's something oddly comforting about a healthy mix of nerves, anxiety and excitement. Right now I've got all three.

Our gear box is all packed up and aside from some clothes finishing up in the dryer everything is nearly ready to go. The weather looks like it's going to be a great day for ice fishing. In an ideal race we would have a great forecast calling for temperatures in the low 70's, and a nice mild breeze. As it turns out this weekend is not the ideal race weekend. The temperatures have been unseasonably cold here and it's not changing anytime soon. It's looking like we might actually see snow on a few of the legs. *gulp*

I know I should be sleeping right now but my mind is racing...wondering if we have enough supplies, wondering if I'll be warm enough, wondering if I will succeed in my goal of finishing the race without vomiting. I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Remember, there will be all sorts of people posting on Twitter during the event so look for #rto2011 to see updates and tweets from me and my fellow racers. Wish us luck!!

1 comment: