Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I didn't scare the neighbors!

So today was the day I had been fretting about. The dreaded two mile run. I would be lying if I said that I didn't try to rationalize ways to get out of it: I ran yesterday, looks like the weather is going to get ugly, I don't want to push myself *too* hard....and on and on and on.

Then a funny thing happened right after I put out my cigarette (I know, I know). I walked upstairs and put on my running gear. I didn't give myself a chance to change my mind, I just went into autopilot mode and got ready. With my newfound earbuds firmly in place I started my RunKeeper app. and faced my fears, and a strong wind, head on.

The first mile was ok. I was feeling a little out of sorts but I think it was mostly my body adjusting to the temperature. I'm still working out the kinks on my layering; I didn't anticipate being such a sweaty broad. My feet felt a little leaden as I tried to remember the last time I heard the automated voice tell me I'd hit a half-mile. It seemed like forever ago. My first mile was completed in 9:38. Not bad.

Hearing the voice chime in my head, telling me that I was ahead of my "desired pace" of 1o min./mile filled me with unadulterated joy. Without realizing it, I picked my pace up a little bit more. Despite running into the wind for the majority of the run I was feeling good. The nice lady in the earbuds let me know I had finished 1.5 miles and was still ahead of my "desired pace." YAY!

As I finished up my last half-mile I'm sure I was grinning like an idiot competing with myself in my head, pushing myself to run, just a little bit faster. And I did. I finished my second mile in 9:20. Two miles in 18:58. I'm over the moon!

Tomorrow is going to be a non-running day. I plan on doing some stairs, walking, and getting old school with some jumping jacks.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment